Saturday, 4 May, 2019 - Sunday, 2 June, 2019
10:00 am - 4:30 pm
Birtley Estate, Guildford Bramley Surrey GU5 OLB
SURREY HILLS SCULPTURE GARDEN & ARTS FESTIVAL 2019
A celebration of Surrey Hills landscapes and artists
within the beautiful setting of woodlands, meadows and lakeside
In partnership with
DATES – MONTH OF MAY: Saturday 4th May – Sunday 2nd June incl.
TIME: 10am – 4.30pm daily
TICKETS: £7 on-line or on the day £8. You don’t have to specify the day and there is unlimited re-entry over the month.
VENUE: Birtley Estate, Bramley, Guildford, Surrey, GU5 OLB
PARKING: Free parking
Surrey Hills Sculpture Garden is the largest ephemeral sculpture event in Surrey showcasing local and national artists run in partnership with Surrey Sculpture Society. This year we are delighted to also be working with the Guildford Twinning Association with works being included by artists from Freiburg, Guildford’s twin town.
Over 160 new sculptures from talented artists using a range of materials and themes are set within the beautiful Birtley Estate landscape of woodlands, meadows and lakeside. Inspired by the Surrey Hills, the renowned glass artist, Adam Aaronson will be the feature artist.
A Marquee located on the lakeside meadow holds an indoor exhibition and provides a base for visitors during the day.
It makes a great day out for all the family with refreshments including cream teas available on site or take your own picnic and enjoy the stunning surroundings, sculptures, woodland trail and lakeside walk for as long as you wish. Combine your visit with a craft workshop or demonstration.
- Suitable for all ages
- A great family day out in spectacular surroundings.
- Café with cream teas and light refreshments
- Demonstrations, workshops and courses
- Local food and drink weekends
- Free parking
- Dogs welcome on leads
BOOK AHEAD: you don’t have to specify the day and
UNLIMITED VISITS : Your ticket entitles you to visit as often as you like over the month so make the most of the wonderful spring weather and enjoy the gardens and sculptures again and again.
NEW FOR 2019
The Arts Festival weekend
DATES : Saturday 25th May – Monday 27th May 2019
An extra special time to visit the Surrey Hills Sculpture Garden, is during our inspirational Arts Festival Weekend. Renowned local artist Ruth Wheeler will be joined by local artisans to showcase a wonderful array of rural and natural arts and crafts including:-
- wood sculpting
- life drawing
- children’s art
- willow weaving and lots more.
Join Ruth for a tranquil and re energising evening of Summer Yoga and Mindfulness on Sunday 26 May 5-7pm
WOODLAND & LAKESIDE TRAIL:
a beautiful walk through woodland and beside the lake and a great Trail for Children to follow.
ART WORKSHOPS, DEMONSTRATIONS & COURSES:
Combine your visit with an exciting range of linked workshops, demonstrations and activities throughout the month-long event.
Join one of the free demonstrations in the marquee as part of your visit:
- Saturday 4 May, morning: Lynette Merrick, ‘have a go at sculpture’ for all ages
- Sunday 5 May, afternoon: Lynette Merrick, ‘have a go at sculpture’ for all ages
- Tuesday 7 May, afternoon: Katie Netley, ‘play with clay’
- Thursday 9 May morning: Friedel Beucking, chainsaw demonstration
- Thursday 9 May afternoon: Sue Ribbans, the art of paper clay
- Friday 10 May afternoon: Katie Netley, ‘play with clay’
- Tuesday 14 May morning: Asta Kalpokaite Golias, workshop in clay
- Thursday 16 May morning: Sue Ribbans, the art of paper clay
- Thursday 16 May afternoon: Friedel Beucking: chain saw demonstrations
- Sunday 19 May 2,15pm & 3pm (20 mins per performance): Music Kids Choir – a fun performance from ‘Music Kids’ (Music Kids is a fun singing group for children from 5 – teenagers who meet to rehearse in Godalming United Church from 6-6.45pm Friday evenings in term time)
- Wednesday 22 May morning: Asta Kalpokaite Golias, workshop in clay
- Sunday 26 May 5-7pm Summer Yoga & Midfulness Evening with Ruth Wheeler
- Thursday 30 May morning: Friedel Beucking: chainsaw demonstration
- Thursday 30 May afternoon: Sue Ribbans, the art of paper clay
SURREY HILLS FOOD & DRINK: special local food & drink exhibitions – more details to follow
2019 EVENTS – CELEBRATING SURREY HILLS
A range of exciting events in 2019 celebrating the Surrey Hills – find out more:
- Surrey Hills Wood Fair, Cranleigh – Saturday 5th & Sunday 6th October 2019
- Surrey Hills Food & Drink Festival, Denbies Wine Estate, Dorking – Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th September 2019
SUPPORTING SURREY HILLS – AN AREA OF OUTSTANDING NATURAL BEAUTY
Surrey Hills Sculpture Garden is run by Surrey Hills Enterprises in partnership with Surrey Sculpture Society, as part of a range of activities and events promoting and celebrating the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Surrey Hills Enterprises is a Community Interest Company, working with local businesses to support the rural economy and to promote, protect and enhance the beautiful Surrey Hills. Find out more and become a Business Member of Surrey Hills and benefit from all the connections, marketing and Member support.
We are proud of the diverse local produce and places to visit that bring to life the Surrey Hills Landscape – we think you will love them too.
Discover the best of the Surrey Hills and the local food, drink, arts and crafts, pubs, cafes and places to visit:
- Visit our directory of local producers and businesses
- Sign up for our e-newsletter to receive up-dates on events, wine tasting, artisan trails, tours and activities
- Join as a Business Member.
TICKETS: An automatic email confirmation of your booking will be forwarded within a few minutes of making your booking. Please print and bring a copy with you. If you do not receive your email confirmation please check your junk or clutter folders. Please call 01483 661150 if you need any assistance.
Alternatively tickets are available from Guildford Tourist Information Centre, 01483 444334, 155 High Street, Guildford GU1 3AJ, www.tickets.visitguildford.com
Please note: Fields marked with a * are mandatory.