R2R: Witley to Godalming
Starting Point: Witley Railway Station, Wormley, Godalming GU8 5TX
Length: 8.3 Km
DIfficulty Level: 3
A delightful Rail to Ramble walk which is acessible from two railway stations (Witley and Godalming). This 5.25 mile (8.3km) walk perfectly combines the countryside with the
1. From Witley Station entrance go to the top left hand corner of car park, turn left & cross footbridge. At junction turn right & walk uphill to road. Go straight across onto footpath. Where footpath ends, bear right & then left onto path under trees. Reach A283, turn left & walk into Witley village to the White Hart pub.
2. Turn left into Church Lane & soon bear right up steps to enter Church Yard. Pass church porch, turn right onto footpath. Reach Roke Lane & turn right to A283 (there is a shop here for refreshments). Cross into Mill Lane opposite, walk 46m/50yds & turn left onto footpath. Pass Lakes Cottage & follow wide track & footpath to Milford Station on the far side of the road.
3. To continue to Godalming Station. Cross over the level crossing and immediately turn left into Summer Lane along the side of the Station. Follow wide track & continue ahead on footpath going downhill. Path climbs. Pass wooden fencing & at first steps turn left & immediately right. Reach T junction by large metal gate & turn right to road. Turn left down hill. Pass Tuesley Manor Cottage & immediately turn left at fingerpost. Path climbs to Ashstead Lane.
4. Turn right, pass Admiral Way & soon at fingerpost turn left. Pass through Godalming College grounds to Shackstead Lane. Cross to Tuesley Lane opposite, then right into Oakdene Road. As road bends right, turn left onto long narrow footpath. At next road cross & continue on footpath. Cross into Summerhouse Road. As road bends left, keep ahead down Butts Lane.
5. At next road cross over & turn right & soon turn left down Pound Lane to main road & pedestrian crossing. Cross & go through gap into Queens Street to reach High Street. Turn left to The ‘Pepper Pot’. Turn right into Church Road & continue ahead into Station Road to Godalming Station.