Haslemere to Witley Walk
Starting Point: Haslemere Railway Station, GU27 2PD
Length: 10.7 Km
DIfficulty Level: 4
A delightful Rail to Ramble walk which is acessible from two railway stations (Haslemere and Witley). You’ll discover woodland paths, open commons and wonderful Surrey Hills views on this 6.65 mile (10.7km) walk.
1. Leave Haslemere Station & turn left. Walk to Tanners Lane, turn left & walk to car park. Walk through car park to West Street & pass Waitrose (toilets available in carpark behind Waitrose). At T junction turn left to Georgian Hotel & cross into Well Lane, following signs to Swan Barn Farm.
2. Head to left rear of car park and along path (see Town well on left). Turn left at gate, cross bridge to gate & turn left onto wide track. Pass NT wooden hut & go through gate beside hut into field & keep to left hand side. In 2nd field keep left, go through gate, cross bridge, keep straight ahead through Witley Copse & Mariners Rewe (NT). Keep straight ahead through 5 gates & over 2 bridges to wide gate. Go through gate onto track & soon, opposite second house on the right, turn left through gate hidden in the hedge (easy to miss).
3. Follow path across field to road. Cross straight over to lane ‘Imbhams Farm’. After 0.5 miles pass large pond on the left.
4. At T junction turn left & immediately turn right into field. Soon turn left through gap & immediately turn right along field edge into wood. Follow footpath to fingerpost & turn right down hill & cross the bridge. Keep ahead through metal gate. Go through 2 fields to stile in top left hand corner. Turn right on track to reach lane. Turn left past Dell Farm. Soon turn left at fingerpost & cross narrow bridge (easy to miss).
5. Go through gate into field & walk diagonally to next gate. Cross stile & bear right across field to kissing gate. Cross lane to gate opposite & pass under power lines, pass house on left to far corner of field. Cross stile into woods, before private gate turn right and continue through woodland to metal gate, cross field to gate & turn left on tarmac lane. Pass red Post Box.
6. Soon turn left at finger post, go through wooden door beside wooden double gates onto gravel drive. Keep to left hand side. Go through gate into trees. Pass large pond & climb uphill to stile. Cross & bear left across field to left of power lines to double stile on far side. Cross & keep on right hand side to reach stiles. Cross & follow path to road. Cross over into Woodside Road. Pass Woodberry Close, go down hill and soon turn left up the bank on a footpath which goes past high fences (easy to miss).
7. Pass through two metal gates into field. Keep to left hand side & go through metal gate into woods. Cross stile into field. Cross next stile & bear left uphill keeping the hedge on the right to reach stile in top left corner. Cross onto wide grass track & turn left. Soon bear right over stile & follow footpath to bridge. Cross it & cross field to stile in top left hand corner. Bear left through wood, cross two stiles & reach road.
8. Cross into drive opposite & immediately turn right at fingerpost into field. Cross field to the stile & follow narrow footpath. Cross busy Industrial Estate road & continue ahead through woods. Turn right & enter Witley Station car park.
Submit your review