Starting Point: Frensham Great Pond Visitor Centre
Length: 14 Km
DIfficulty Level: 3
This 14 Kilometre walk takes you through the stunning heathland of South West Surrey.
- From Visitor Centre turn right with lake on left. Skirt edge of car park and continue on path around lake. At road turn left then left again past frontage of Frensham Pond Hotel and continue along Pond Lane.Turn right along bridleway, ignore first path on left and continue ahead. At fork bear left by waymark post, uphill on narrow sunken track. Join drive and follow to road. Continue ahead along road past Simmondstone Lane. Bear right down bridleway. Pass house on left and continue along track. Cross bridge over stream and continue up path ahead. Join track and follow to road. Turn left down road then right along lane.
- Bear right down bridleway past Barford Mill. At the bend continue ahead along path. At road continue ahead along Whitmore Vale Road. Turn left on footpath uphill opposite ‘Woodland View’. Go through kissing gate then left along path. At fork keep right passing benches on left. Look out for gate about 10m uphill to left before end of open heathland area. Turn left along path to go through kissing gate and proceed along path between fences.
- Cross road and take footpath opposite across golf course. Cross tarmac road at metal way-mark and turn right following footpath down hill across fairway. Continue uphill along footpath and ahead past plantation on right and downhill through kissing gate.
- Turn right along road then after house turn left down Old Barn Lane passing apple orchards on right. At T-junction turn right down road. At road junction turn left.Turn left past Bel and The Dragon.Turn right along path between green wooden fences and continue up hill. At fork (by firebeater stand) bear left and proceed to top of hill. From top of Stoney Jump face Axe Pond, taking stepped path down hill. At cross tracks turn left and continue along track between woodland edge and open common land following short blue bridleway marker posts, then through woodland and eventually past properties to Crosswater Lane. Turn right here and walk along lane. At cross tracks turn right then immediately left on path up hill.
- Pass tumulus on left then turn left taking path downhill towards Great Pond. Cross road with care to bus stop. Bear left then go right between fences. Follow sandy path back to Visitor Centre.
Submit your review
Lovely walk in the Surrey Hills, taking in numerous habitats as one climbs up the Whitmore Vale. One to do in all seasons, a great way to see the landscape change.