Box Hill Route
Starting Point: Burford Bridge Hotel, Old London Road, Dorking RH5 6BX
Length: 19 Km
DIfficulty Level: 5
The Box Hill cycling route is a great way to experience the countryside of the Surrey Hills AONB. The route provides outstanding views over Dorking and the surrounding area. This is a great ride for riders of all abilities. Follow in the footsteps of Bradley Wiggins following a picturesque section of the Olympic Cycle route.
Brief Route Description: A scenic road route, with a mixture of A & B roads, country lanes with some good hills. Also follows some of the Olympic Cycle Route.
- Starting at the Burford Bridge Hotel, follow Old London Road until you reach the A24.
- Turn right and follow this road shortly before taking the second right along Bytton Hill. Follow this road past Cherkley Court & Gardens and Gardeners Cottage before reaching the Reigate Road (B2033).
- Turn right along this road, continue along until reaching a junction and turn right following Headley Common Road. You will pass by Headley Heath and Headley Cricket Club. Follow this road.
- There will be a sharp right turn, take this along Boxhill Road. This road takes you along the top of Boxhill and offers picturesque views over the surrounding landscape and the Surrey Hills AONB.
- Take this zig zag road until you reach Old London Road and the end of your journey.
Refreshment stops/Overnight Stays: Stop at the café at the top of Box Hill where there are a variety of refreshments available. Occasionally a refreshment stand can be found opposite Headley Cricket Club.
We recommend that you always carry a map when out cycling, even when following a published route. The most popular and detailed maps available are the OS Explorer series maps (1:25,000 scale/orange cover). They are available from many bookshops and newsagents.
The relevant map for this cycle route is OS Explorer Map 146.
Submit your review