Friday, 11 May, 2018
9:00 am - 3:30 pm
Living Planet Centre Woking Surrey GU21 4LL
Surrey’s Rural Economy Conference 2018
Issues / Information / Inspiration
A significant Conference in a spectacular venue highlighting key issues for the rural economy in Surrey.
Generously sponsored by Land & Water
- Conference opened and welcome by Michael More-Molyneux, Lord Lieutenant of Surrey.
- Key note speaker, introduced by Peter Martin, Chairman, Surrey County Council: Michael Gove, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
- Inspiring Presentations including challenges and opportunities for farming, success factors in running a rural business, launch of the Surrey Hills Trade Mark, Surrey’s rural statement, investment & funding sources, breakout sessions, networking & stands.
DATE: Friday 11th May 2018
TIME: 9am – 3.30pm
COST: £48 + VAT and £38 + VAT for members of Surrey Hills Enterprises – join now.
TICKETS: Once you have purchased your tickets online you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive the email within a few minutes, and it cannot be found in your junk email, please call 01483 661150 for assistance.
VENUE: Living Planet Centre, Rufford House, Brewery Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 4LL
Home of WWF-UK and one of the greenest buildings in the UK and a beautiful education and visitor centre located beside the Canal in the centre of Woking with easy access by road or rail. Getting to the Living Planet Centre.
PARKING: Brewery Road car park is situated beneath the Living Planet Centre or if busy, Victoria Road Car Park is within a few minutes’ walk. Both pay on exit.
The one day Conference aims to:
- Issues – Highlight the key challenges facing our rural economy
- Information – an environment to aid the exchange of information & help overcome the issues
- Inspiration – Inspire and activate opportunities
The Conference will be of interest to policy and decision makers, rural businesses & SME’S, farmers, landowners, estates, and countryside managers, local authority Councillors and Officers, Countryside charities.
- Rural businesses and SME’s
- Farmers, Landowners, Estates, & Countryside Managers
- Voluntary, charity and faith sectors
- Local Authority Councillors and officers
|Agenda for Surrey's Rural Economy Conference 2018|
|9am - 9.30am||Refreshments - Tea / coffee / networking / visit stands|
|9.30am||Conference Welcome – Michael More Molyneux, Lord Lieutenant of Surrey & Patron, Surrey Hills Enterprises
Welcome to the Living Planet Center, WWF Director
|9.40am||Key Note Speech
Introduce Key Note Speaker - Peter Martin, Chairman Surrey County Council
Rt Hon Michael Gove MP, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
The future of the rural economy & implications of Brexit
20 min presentation + 20 mins Q & A session
|10.20am||Launch of the Surrey Hills Trade Mark and Q & A|
|10.35am||Tim Metson, Coverwood Farm & NFU Speaker – The Challenges & Opportunities for Farmers today and Q&A|
|10.55am||Highlight key stands|
|11am – 11.25am||BREAK tea / coffee + Stands / networking|
|11.25am||Chris White, Chief Executive, Denbies Wine Estate – Challenges & key success factors of a rural business and Q & A|
|11.45am||Simon Whalley, Chairman, Surrey Hills Enterprises - The Rural Statement for Surrey Achievements & next steps – explain breakout session + lunch|
|12.05 - 1pm||BREAKOUT SESSION – What are our key challenges/ how do we overcome them? How can we create opportunities & what actions do we need to take?|
|1pm – 1.45pm||LUNCH + Stands / networking|
|1.45pm||Resourcing the Countryside – Rising to the challenge - Cllr Mike Goodman, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport, Surrey County Council|
|2.10pm||Sources of investment & funding for rural businesses – Roger Allonby, Head of Central & South Region, RPA, Cathy Miles, Programme Manager, Rural Surrey LEADER and Ian McCulloch, Silent Pool Distillery|
|2.45pm||Question & Answer|
|3.15pm - 3.30pm||Summary & close - Reflections & key actions – Peter Martin, Chairman Surrey County Council|
Bookings are closed for this event.
Please note: Fields marked with a * are mandatory.