Saturday, 3 October, 2015
12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Shere Village Hall Shere Surrey GU5 9HF
The Surrey Heritage Showcase is back! This year’s event will take place on Saturday 3 October at Shere Village Hall from 12pm – 4pm and entry is FREE. The event will focus on Shere, and surrounding areas, including Gomshall, Peaslake, and Albury.
This will be the fourth Heritage Showcase in the county organised by Surrey Heritage, part of Surrey County Council. This unique event brings together not only the experts and amazing resources held at Surrey History Centre, but also many local organisations and societies to showcase the history and heritage of the area.
The Showcase invites local residents to engage and explore their local heritage whilst discovering new things about their locality. A highlight of the day will be ‘Ask the Expert’ sessions where Surrey Heritage’s archive assistants and the county’s Finds Liaison Officer will be on hand to give free, practical, professional advice on preserving and identifying, books, letters, documents, maps and photographs, and unknown muddy objects are all very welcome! Family history experts will also be available to help sort out knotty problems tracing your ancestors.
There will also be numerous displays from the county’s archive, family history information, and memories of Shere, where the public will be encouraged to share their memories of the area at this interactive display. Children’s activities will include mini archaeology digs and arts and craft.
Highlights for the day:
– Memories of Shere & surrounding area – using the Historic Environment Record map your memories of the area with this interactive display
– Family history advice and help with dating old photos
– ‘Ask the expert’ sessions – Surrey Heritage experts in conservation, archives and archaeological finds will be offering FREE practical, professional advice on how to store and preserve your items. Books, letters, documents, maps, photographs and unknown muddy objects are all welcome!
– Free children’s activities including mini archaeology digs, historic dress up and arts and crafts fun
– Displays from the County’s archive – showcasing documents, photographs, illustrations and more relating to the local area held at Surrey History Centre
– Learn about Surrey’s 43 Museums
– Find out more about our Heritage Lottery Funded World War One project ‘Surrey in the Great War: A County Remembers, and how to get involved
– Grab a bargain at our book sale
– Discover all there is to know about the work Surrey Heritage does, from current projects to outreach activities.
– Shere Museum and Local History Society
– Tillingbourne Tales
– Surrey Gardens Trust
– Albury History Society
– Surrey History Trust
– West Surrey Family History Society
– Surrey Archaeological Society
– Cranleigh Camera Club
– Surrey Record Society
– Peaslake WI
To find out more visit the website at www.exploringsurreyspast.org.uk/showcase or phone 01483 518737.