Tilford ‘Birds & Bridges’ Walk
Starting Point: This walk can begin from either the Frensham Ponds Visitor Centre or The Rural Life Centre
Length: 12 Km
DIfficulty Level: 2
This walk takes in Frensham Great and Little Ponds, and the River Wey. Discover the medieval bridges at Tilford and an abundance of local wildlife. This 8 mile, 4 hour walk can begin from either the Frensham Ponds Visitor Centre or The Rural Life Centre.
- From the Visitor Centre follow the boardwalk from the rear of the Visitor Centre. Turn left then right onto a wide sandy track.After 35m as track bears right, go ahead uphill and later go left to join a wide mown track. Bear right and continue until the mown track ends. Go left and follow bridleway, at fork bear right and follow bridleway to A287. Cross road with care, taking the path almost directly opposite. Turn left at T junction. At cross tracks turn right along path with fences on left to car park. Bear left, between the fence and the car park to road. Cross road and continue along bridleway and at T junction turn left. Pass Keepers Cottage, cross river bridge and follow bridleway through Pierrepont Home Farm. Cross farmyard and go right passing metal gate. (If starting from the Rural Life Centre, from entrance turn left, continue for 100m. Take bridleway on left, turning immediately right, continuing parallel to road for 500m. Turn left onto second bridleway to join the main route.)
- Keep ahead and follow bridleway between fence and partly cleared conifer plantations. Bear right by house fence and proceed to The Reeds Road. Cross road, and take path opposite for 20m to waymark post. Continue ahead on bridleway through woodlands. When fence on left bears left continue ahead down to road. Cross Tilford Road and proceed along Sheephatch Lane opposite. Cross road bridge then in 30m turn right uphill along path. Continue ahead as path veers right and left.
- Continue ahead to join tarmac track, passing Tilhill House then in 100m (opposite Wey Cottage) bear right, ignore stile on left , and continue on down hill to Tilford Street (The village shop is 30 metres to the left). Turn right, go over road bridge and past the Barley Mow Pub.
- Continue to the end of green, crossing roads to take footpath by The Malt House. Follow path through former plant nursery and proceed into woodlands. Continue on path, which at times runs beside river, to pass through gate and join track.
- Turn right and continue to Meadow End Farm. Go through gate, then take footpath ahead between fences. At kissing gate turn right along track. At road, near Frensham Little Pond car park, turn left along Priory Lane for 100m, then right through gap in railings just beside unmade road. Continue ahead to the right of small car park and bear right through woods to follow orange waymark arrows across the Common, over A287 and back to the Visitor Centre.