Box Hill Olympic Route
Length: 16 Km
DIfficulty Level: 5
Follow in the trail of our great Olympian cyclists by taking this picturesque route throughout the Surrey Hills, with great views from the summit of Box Hill. Please note that this route follows a dual carriageway but there is a cycling path alongside. This is a scenic road route, with a mixture of A & B roads, country lanes with some good hills. Also follows some of the Olympic Cycle Route.
- Starting at the Burford Bridge Hotel, turn back on yourself and go right on the roundabout along the A24. Follow the cycle path.
- When you reach the next roundabout at Givons Grove, turn right onto the Leatherhead By-Pass.
- At the Reigate Road roundabout, take the third exit following Reigate Road (B2033). Keep following this road as it becomes Mill Way and then Leech Lane. Continue following this road round to the right.
- Turn right along this road, continue along until reaching a junction and turn right following Headley Common Road. You will pass by Headley Heath and Headley Cricket Club. Follow this road.
- There will be a sharp right turn, take this along Boxhill Road. This road takes you along the top of Boxhill and offers picturesque views over the surrounding landscape and the Surrey Hills AONB.
- Take this zig zag road until you reach Old London Road and the end of your journey.
Refreshment stops/Overnight Stays: Stop at the café at the top of Box Hill where there are a variety of refreshments available. Occasionally a refreshment stand can be found opposite Headley Cricket Club. There are also two cycling shops to suit your needs; The Downs Bicycle Hire Company and Cycle Dauphin.
We recommend that you always carry a map when out cycling, even when following a published route. The most popular and detailed maps available are the OS Explorer series maps (1:25,000 scale/orange cover). They are available from many bookshops and newsagents. The relevant map for this cycle route is OS Explorer Map 146.